- Asylum: an inviolable place of refuge and protection giving shelter to criminals and debtors.
- Diplomatic Immunity: The exemption from taxation and ordinary processes of law afforded to diplomatic personnel in a foreign
- Dual Citizenship: the state of being a citizen of two or more two countries concurrently
- To give up residence in one's homeland. To renounce allegiance to one's homeland.
- Green Card: An official document issued by the U.S. government to aliens, allowing them to work legally in the United
- Illegal Alien: Someone in the US illegally
- Jus Sanguinis: a rule of law that a child's citizenship is determined by that of his or her parents
- Jus Soli: the principle that a person's nationality at birth is determined by the place of birth
- Naturalization: To become naturalized or acclimated; undergo adaptation.
- Refugee: One who flees in search of refuge, as in times of war, political oppression, or religious persecution.
- Visa: An official authorization appended to a passport, permitting entry into and travel within a particular country or